Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Literacy Victoria as a literacy tutor. Here’s how to get involved:
- Review the “Become a Tutor” page on our website: Please visit the “Become a Tutor” page on Literacy Victoria’s website at org and review the information provided on tutoring at Literacy Victoria.
- Information video: We have a also a video (6 minutes) describing the work we do at Literacy Victoria. It was made before we moved to our new address and facilities, with updated programs, yet you may find it helpful. Please disregard the contact information there. Moreover some of the extra programs described may or may not be still available from 2015, so please contact us for further clarifications. (Watch video)
- Application: If after reading this information you believe volunteering as a literacy tutor at LV is for you, please complete the Volunteer Application Form (PDF) (available here online) or contact LV to have it emailed or mailed to you. Once you have completed the Volunteer Tutor Application form including two letters of reference and a Criminal Record Check (CRC) please submit the complete application form to LV Victoria in person, by mail or email. The original Criminal Record Check must be submitted. Copies of CRC’s will not be accepted.
- Intake Interview: When we receive your application and supporting documents, you will be invited for an interview. Applicant will be asked to show a piece of photo ID at this meeting. Following the interview, suitable applicants will be scheduled for tutor training.
- Core Training: All literacy tutors are required to complete a one day Core Volunteer Literacy Tutor training. Core trainings are typically held on a Saturday from 9am to 4pm with a half hour lunch break. Lunch is provided at the training site.
- Placement Interview: Following the Core Volunteer Literacy Tutor training, trainees will be invited to meet with LV’s Coordinator to discuss their preferences regarding subject area, type of learner, availabilty and potential learner matches.
- Matching: When the training and placement interview is complete, you will be placed on an active tutor list and a suitable match will be sought. You’ll be able to start tutoring as soon as a match is made.
- Continuing Support and Training: Literacy Victoria provides ongoing training and support for all tutors.
Questions? Contact us at 250-385-0014 or email@example.com